Monday, March 5, 2012

Connection Error

I was sitting in a restaurant this weekend and I did what I tend to do when I go out: I look around at others in the restaurant just to see what types of people are there. I guess you could say it's sort of a hobby of mine. I don't stare or anything like that, I just like to be observant. Normally I just glance over people and move on with my meal.


This particular day, a couple caught my eye. They looked to be in their mid-twenties, with a couple of kids. One kid was still in a high chair happily playing with a set of toy keys and the other was too young to say much. At first glance, it was nothing really out of the ordinary. But I took a second look and realized the neither husband or the wife even acknowledged that the other existed. They both had their phones out and weren't even paying attention to the kids, much less each other. After taking this in for a moment, I couldn't help but wonder...


Is this what we've become?


We put so much emphasis on cell phones and other forms of technology that distract us from the real world, we can't even bother to hold a conversation with each other for more than a few seconds. This was a couple in the prime of their lives, just starting a new family. Yet they acted like they weren't even aware that they were out for lunch together.


It amazes me that in a world filled with technology to help us stay connected, we're losing the ability to make any real connection at all.