Monday, January 2, 2012

Lessons Learned in '11

A couple years ago I decided to compile a list of lessons I learned during the year. Some funny, some serious, and some in between. A lot of people enjoyed it, so I decided I'd make one every year. I normally post them as a Facebook note, but I decided to give a preview to anyone who regularly checks my blog and those on Google+. Enjoy.


1. Everything shouldn’t have to go right all the time for you to be happy.
2. There are some things people do that I’ll never understand.
3. Having a passion for something makes it much easier to accomplish.
4. People take everything to the extreme, including couponing.
5. Normally this is the spot where I put that relationships are more complicated than you’d think, but I wasn’t in one this year. It still needs to be said.
6. It’s impossible to go through a semester of college without at least one all-nighter.
7. Life isn’t about who you’re with, it’s who you’re without.
8. Gyms actually exist.
9. People that call others out for being “fake” are usually the ones made of plastic.
10. Some people don’t understand that there’s a difference between the Internet and real life.
11. Macs can crash.
12. So back up your hard drive as often as possible.
13. Obama’s birth certificate got more coverage this year than he did.
14. Google pretty much owns my life.
15. When I start making bajillions of dollars, I’m hiring Seth MacFarlane to sing me to sleep every night.
16. Arrested Development might just be the greatest show ever created.
17. Planking is much less fun than it seems. And it seems pretty lame in the first place...
18. Summer camp is so much better when you’re on the staff.
19. The Office just isn’t the same without Michael Scott.
20. There’s 3 things I learned about Rick Perry. He doesn’t study his own notes, he can’t speak very well, and...uh...I can’t recall the last one. Oops.
21. Rebecca Black knows what day it is once a week.
22. I’m horribly addicted to Angry Birds.
23. Hugh Laurie can sing the blues better than most professional blues artists.
24. I’m not really sure how I’ve lived 20 years of my life without a smartphone.
25. Donald Glover is simply amazing at everything he does.
26. Twitter isn’t completely useless.
27. But people can take it way too seriously sometimes.
28. Jon Stewart sliced his hand open during a bit and kept it going to the end. If politicians were as half as dedicated as he is, the show would have nothing to make fun of.
29. I can’t wait to have kids. I’m nowhere near ready for the responsibility, I just want to see their faces light up when I take them to Disney World.
30. Listening to Watch The Throne is like Where’s Waldo, only instead of looking for Waldo, you’re listening to see how many times they can say Watch The Throne.
31. Oranges can burn.
32. No matter what the case is, every person is convinced they’re the exception to the rule.
33. Having a 3DS makes me wish life were in 3D.
34. Modern music is catchy, but nothing can top the classics.
35. For Katy Perry, I guess Russell Brand is the one that got away.
36. It was an awful year to be a dictator.
37. Bill Cosby will be funny until the day he dies.
38. A new Zelda game consumes my entire life, but I’m perfectly ok with that.
39. It was a pretty hard year for Anthony Weiner.
40. No matter how many times I tried to pick a favorite song from the new Foo Fighters album, I could never decide. Just when I thought I’d picked one, the next song started playing.
41. The McRib is the most overrated thing in America.
42. Most people who sing “Sexy And I Know It” are lying.
43. Watching Jeff Dunham's new special taught me a valuable lesson about how to recycle. All his jokes are reused.
44. Google+ is nothing more than a place to retreat to when you’re tired of people complaining every time Facebook changes.
45. I miss the days when I could really get into a good book.
46. Osama bin Laden wasn’t already dead.
47. Some people will never grow up.
48. Herman Cain should’ve stuck to making pizza.
49. Robots are amazing at Jeopardy.
50. Saturday Night Live is still pretty funny.


I know it’s pretty cliche to say this, but it’s been a roller coaster year for me. Things have gone from great one minute to terrible the next. But through it all, the biggest thing I learned this year is not to get knocked down by what life throws your way. If you’ve known me for more than a few seconds, you’ve probably know that my favorite quote is “It’s not always rainbows and butterflies, it’s compromise that moves us along.” That doesn’t mean you should compromise values or what you believe in, it just means that life isn’t always going to be amazing.

So keep a bat handy. That way when life throws you a curveball, you can knock it out of the park.

I feel like I say this every January, but 2012 is shaping up to be a great year. So far I haven’t been wrong. Let’s hope things stay that way.

Take time to enjoy life and have a fantastic year!