Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Aww-Inspiring

So I've been watching a lot of How I Met Your Mother recently, since Netflix added it to Instant Stream. I had seen the show a few times before and enjoyed it, so I decided to give it a go. It's a great show, but I've developed such a love/hate relationship with it.

During the show itself, I have no problems. The jokes are funny, and sometimes predictable, but there's nothing wrong with that. Shows often make you feels smarter if you can tell what jokes are coming. If you've never seen it, you really should look into it. It's a great comedy about how different people handle relationships. You have the couple that's been together since high school, the guy whose sole purpose is to have sex with as many women as possible, and then there's the main character, Ted. The show revolves around him finding his soul mate, hence the name "How I Met Your Mother."

It's clear that CBS picked Ted as the main character because that's who a lot of people empathize with. Seems like a lot of us are out here looking for that special someone we want to spend the rest of our lives with. Of course, some have already found that person and some just aren't interested in looking, so that's what the other characters are for, to cover all the bases.

Now onto the problem with the show. It always comes just after the last scene, when the credits start rolling. For me right before, there's always that "Aww..." moment. It's either a good aww when something goes right or a bad aww when something goes wrong, but it always seems to be an aww. Either way it never fails that during the credits, I always get a sinking feeling. If it was a good aww, the feeling is a hint of jealously because things went right. If it was a bad aww, I tend to put myself in poor Ted's shoes because I know the feeling.

By now you're probably thinking about how stupid I am, having emotional ties to a TV show. I agree completely. But if you think back to and TV shows or movies in your life, there's always been some sort of emotional response. That's what they're for. Same goes for theatre.

The important point I wanna make here is not to let something you watch define what you expect out of life. I'll use relationships as an example. Far too many people expect love to be just like the movies, where two people from different worlds magically find each other and fall in love in front of a nicely painted sunset background. I hate to break it to you folks, but it never works like that.

Sure, I have feelings about certain things I watch. But I know not to expect something perfect like that out of life. And to be honest, that's a good thing. I'd like to think I'm a nice guy, but I couldn't be half as romantic as those movie guys. But that's ok with me, because I know they wear tons of makeup and everything they say comes off a piece of paper they had to memorize.

I'd much rather wait around for something real than try and force something scripted.